Reqiem Latin Pronunciation and Translation Links
- Requiem translation - The complete text of the Durufle Requiem with the corresponding English translation.
Latin Pronunciation Links
- MP3 Pronunciation Files - You can download or listen to MP3 files of the Latin. There is a separate MP3 file every several lines. The files match the Latin pronuciation handout. (does not include "In Paradisum")
- In Paradisum - This is an actual chant that can help you with the pronuciation. It includes the text scrolling by.
- Durufle Requiem Pronunciation - Includes the complete Latin text with the English pronunciation after each line of Latin. (This is a PDF file.)
- Latin Pronunciation Rules - Helpful comparison guide for pronouncing Ecclesiastical Latin and Classical Latin. We follow the Ecclesiastical Latin (Church Latin).
- Another Latin Pronunciation Guide - adapted from the Liber Usualis.
Latin Pronunciation Rules for VOWELS
- There are only five vowels: I–E–A–O–U, pronounced ee–eh–ah–aw–oo, as in “bee bet bar ball boon”.
- ae and oe are the same as E (eh)
- Sometimes, I is spelled Y, but is still pronounced EE
- When two vowels come together, each keeps its own sound, separate and dis-tinct (dies, Sabaoth)
- The only diphtongs are Eu and Au - lengthen the first vowel and shorten the second (Exaudi)
- U preceded by Q or GN is sung quickly (glide) (Requiem, Agnus )
Latin Pronunciation Rules for CONSONANTS
- C before E, I, or OE is CH as in church (luceat, coeli)
- C before A, O and U is K (caro)
- CH is K (Christe)
- CU is KOO, not as in “Queue” (saeculum)
- G before A, O and U is hard as in “god” (ergo)
- G before E or I is soft as in “gem” (coget)
- GN is like NY, (Agnus ) “Ahn-yoos”
- H is silent as in “honest” (hymnus, Hosanna )
(except "mihi" is pronounced MEE-KEE)
- J is Y (judex, Jerusalem)
- S is SS (sanctus)
- S between two vowels is softened, but is still NOT Z (miseriae)
- SC before E or I is SH (suscipe)
- SCH is SK
- TH is T (thronum, Sabaoth)
- TI + vowel is TSEE + vowel (orationem)
- TU is pronounced TOO, not as in “tube” (perpetua)
- X is KS (Rex, lux)
- XC before E and I is KSH (excelsis)
- XC before O, A and U is KSK