Rehearsal Information : (Spring rehearsals start Tuesday, February 14, 2023 )
Weekly rehearsals begin approximately 10-12 weeks prior to a concert date and are held at the James Buchanan Middle School (not the high school) which is located about 1 mile north of Mercersburg along Route 75. Reahearsals begin promptly at 7:00pm and last two hours. When the schedule is changed or cancelled due to inclement weather, chorus members will be notified by phone or email and a notice on the front page of this web site. Attendance at all rehearsals is expected: absences should be reported to the section leaders. Rehearsals the week prior to the concerts may vary in location and length. Generally these are held in the Irvine Memorial Chapel at Mercersburg Academy and include the orchestra and soloists. Members will be informed of any special rehearsals well in advance.
Directions and Parking:
Use the north entrance to the Middle School that provides access to the back of the school After entering the school driveway go past the building (on your left) and on around the building to the back. Parking for rehearsals at the James Buchanan Middle School is at the rear (west side) of the building. Only the door next to the band room will be unlocked. The school has graciously provided this rehearsal space for the Chorus.
Charges: To help defray the Chorus' expenses, members are asked to pay for some of their own music. This generally amounts to one or two pieces of music each season, for a total of about $6.00 - $18.00.
Care of Music: Music that members purchase is theirs to keep and may be marked as the member desires. Music that is owned by the chorus should be marked only as needed. Members will be given instructions on where to return chorus-owned music after the last concert.
Music Folders: If you need a black music folder, various chorus members recommend folders they have purchased from these websites: www.jwpepper.com; www.mymusicfolders.com; or www.musiciansfriend.com.
Special Note: Many chorus members experience allergic reactions to fragrances such as those found in cologne, after-shave, and deodorant. Please refrain from using fragranced products for rehearsals and concerts.
Spring 2023 Concerts
- Saturday, April 29 – 4:00
- Sunday, April 30 – 4:00
- Durufle: Requiem
- Music from opera:
-Donizetti (Lucia di Lammermoor): Chorus of the Wedding Guests – tenor and chorus – (p. 107)
-Bizet: (Carmen): Votre Toast (Toreador Song) – baritone
-Verdi: (La Traviata): Brindisi – tenor, soprano, chorus – (p. 245)
-Delibes: (Lakme): Duo des fleurs (Flower Duet) – soprano & mezzo
-Verdi: (Rigoletto): Act 3 Quartet – soprano, mezzo, tenor, bass
-Borodin: (Prince Igor): Polovtsian Dances – chorus (p. 71)
Rehearsal and Program Schedule
- Tuesday (7 to 9) February 7 through April 11 at JBMS.
- Monday (6:30) April 17 – set up risers in the Chapel.
- Tuesday (7 to 9) April 18 in the Chapel.
- Tuesday (7 to 9) April 25 in the Chapel.
- Thursday (7 to 10) April 27 – orchestra & chorus in the Chapel
- Friday (7 to 10) April 28 – orchestra & chorus in the Chapel
- Saturday, April 29 – warm up in Burgin at 3:00
Performance in Chapel – 4:00
- Sunday, April 30 – warm up in Burgin at 3:00
Performance in Chapel – 4:00
- In Paradisum (All on “Dah”)
- Libera me (Markers 81-84 on “Dah”)
- Libera me (Markers 87-92 on “Dah”)
- Libera me (Review Markers 81-92 on “Dah”)
- Libera me (Markers 93-98 on “Dah”)
- Lux Aeterna (All on “oo” – “loo” for sop)
- Agnus Dei (Start the whole thing on “Dah”)
- Agnus Dei (Whole thing on “Dah”)
- Domine Jesu Christe Christe (Markers 19-29 on “Dah”)
- Domine Jesu Christe (Review 19-29 on “Dah”)
- Domine Jesu Christe Christe (Markers 29-42 on “Dah”)
- Sanctus (Markers 46-52 on “Dah”)
- NO MAT
- Sanctus (All Markers on “Dah”)
- Entire Durufle (Markers 19-102 on “Dah”)
- Latin for Movements III - IX
- Kyrie (All on “Dah”, Add Latin)
- Introit (All on “Dah”, Add Latin)
Link to the Old Chorus Website.